Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Saying Yes to the Dress

Dress shopping is something I had been looking forward to from as far back as I can remember. Even before I was engaged, I had been already addicted to shows like Say Yes to the Dress. Getting a lot of attention, playing dress up, and trying on things I probably can't afford are all things I love.

So many people have said to me how you never end up with the type of dress that you "think" you want. Well, I've always had an idea of the kind of dress I wanted.

If you've met me, you know I'm not really one for simplicity. I'm loud, opinionated and girly. Oh, and Hello! I'm from Long Island! That picture of the sweet, classic bride in pearls is just not me.


Sorry Kate. I love her and I really had high hopes for her wedding dress. But, thats it? Really? I think if my fiance saw me walking down the aisle in this he would yawn.

Side note: On the day of the royal wedding, he said he thought Kate's dress was too plain. I knew there was a reason I picked him!

Before you all start getting scared, I do have my limits when it comes to bling.


My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. Awesome show. But really? A light up dress? And that amount of poof? I can't.

Anyway, I was pretty sure that I could find an amazing dress, somewhere in between Kate and the Gypsy.

I enlisted the help of my least opinionated bridesmaid (I have enough opinions to go around) and out dress shopping we went. A few things I learned:
  • Wedding dresses are heavy!
  • Most brides think its awkward to have another lady dress you. (thank you dance for desensitizing me to this)
  • Bridal consultants need a lot of patience, and some of them don't have any.
But the most important thing I learned was that I had known exactly the type of wedding dress I wanted.

It was difficult for me to settle, because I am a perfectionist, and I wanted to know that I had the best dress.

After going back and forth a few times, visiting a couple of different salons, trying on about 30 dresses and second guessing my every move, I finally found the perfect dress.

Sorry, no pic of this one!

I am obsessed with my dress. I look at the pictures I have at least once a day, and I've even watched a 7 minute youtube video of the dress, on more than one occasion. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

Alright brides-to-be, how many dresses did you try on before you found "the one"?

No comments:

Post a Comment